Newnham Paddox today

For 570 years, until the opening of the Sculpture gardens in 2003, the Feilding family used the estate only for agriculture and field sports. They built three great houses at Newnham Paddox and in 1952 demolished the last (built between 1876 and 1879), considering it over large and potentially a drain on the estate. Though to some, it seemed a drastic move, it enabled the preservation of farms, woodland and parkland and was faithful to the belief of all Earls of Denbigh that the land is the heritage of future generations. Alexander Denbigh is the twelfth holder of the title. He and Suzy live in Newnham Paddox House, a much smaller wooden house built by Alexander's grandmother in the 1970's.